Six Months Out - Full Body Picture

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Frustration

I have been frustrated at times since my WLS, just like many others. It's disheartening to see your scale stalled at a certain weight, and it's tougher for many WLS patients because most of us have already tried (and failed) at every diet known to mankind.

That's the feeling I had when I first broke into the 200's. I hit 299 for two days in a row, then spent a week bouncing between 299 and 295. I kept waiting for two days at 295, but it just wouldn't happen! I was exercising, watching my protein and water intake and, in general, driving myself nuts. Of course, the advice is to only weigh yourself once a week, but I'm too stupid to follow that advice! I want to know every day how I'm doing, which is dumb because our bodies fluctuate based on what we ate and drank and how much salt we ate. For female WLS patients, it's even worse because our monthly hormonal fluctuations drive the scale up and down like a roller coaster!

What I try to do is to pay more attention to how my clothes fit and let the scale be "just" a number game. While I was bouncing between 299 and 195, I walked out of my last size pants. I wore them the week before and they were a bit loose, then I put them on during that stall, buttoned, zipped, then watched as they fell right off my behind and onto the floor! That's when I realized that this is a weird journey that I'm taking.

I'll drop pounds pretty steady for a few days or weeks, then have a horrible stall. But, during the stalls is when I usually lose inches and undergrow my clothes. So, I'm trying to teach myself to appreciate the stalls as much as the days that I lose pounds.

I really regret not taking measurements to start with, but I am also a sewist. I think I'll take my measurements from my dressmaker's dummy and see how they compare with my current measurements. The dummy needs updating anyway if I'm going to make myself a few skirts/dresses to wear for the next size down.

While I've been pretty open with my weight numbers, I'm not sure how I feel about posting my measurements online. I'll have to think about that and see what I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment